Pages

Friday, February 02, 2007

Ahoy, matey!

My newest knit sweater is finished, and it's a smiling skull and crossbones for Kentucky's cutest pirate:


It's from a book I picked up at Christmas, Adorable Knits for Tots. There are plenty of other projects in there that I'm just itching to try, so you'll be seeing that title a lot in the next year or so.

Some thoughts on this project:

  • Working a design that requires 8 different spools of yarn at once sucks.
  • Finding out that you bound off the neck too tight - after you've sewn the neck and shoulder seam and worked all the loose ends in - sucks.
  • Patterns that come in sizes 1-2 and 3-4 suck. I made it in the 1-2 (Duh. Dumb move), and it's going to fit her for about a minute and a half. As a matter of fact, the sleeves were already an inch too short by the time she took it off after dinner.
  • Cheap synthetic yarn from Wal-Mart rocks ... at least when the wearer is too young to know the difference. The total cost for the two balls of yarn I needed for this project was under $10.
  • I'm getting faster at the whole knitting thing. By the end of the sweater, I could bang out 1.5 stripes on the sleeves in the course of one Baby Einstein video. Because you know that's how I measure projects now, right?
  • Thanks to my friends Sybil and Matt for convincing me not to use the white for the pattern on the front - it would have totally blended in and made this an even bigger waste of time than it was already.

No comments: