Pages

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Ill-conceived

When a clothing project languishes on the shelf, cut out but unsewn, for 6 months, it's a sign.


When I start to work on it and things that should be easy are going horribly wrong, it's a bad sign.


When I have to bribe my daughter with candy to get her to try on the finished outfit, it's a really bad sign (note M&Ms clutched in hand and mouth in photo below).



And when I realize that the outfit not only makes my daughter look like a demented clown, but is also waaaaaay too small on top, it's pretty much par for the course.

This, this is why I don't do garments. Setting in the sleeves, which is pretty much a nightmare on a size 3 toddler shirt, was a piece of cake. Making four buttonholes, which I do by rote every time I make a SWAK blanket for my etsy shop, was a complete clusterf.... um, disaster. The shirt is too short and too tight, the sleeves are too short, and the buttonholes may be the ugliest on the planet. Good thing she hates it, because I'm not thrilled about the idea of her appearing in this in public.

The pants, on the other hand, are pretty cute. All she needs is a hot pink shirt, and she's stylin.

2 comments:

Felicia said...

I afraid of making clothes from patterns so I feel your pain! What a cutie she is though :)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry we've all had projects that just plain "go bad" on us. You have done fair diligence to it by making it. There's bound to be a little girl out there who would love and fits that top. Just add it to your bag for the charity shop.