Pages

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Grrrrrrrr

Just when I thought things were going so well on the sweater I'm making for myself, I took it off the needles and put it onto some yarn so I could try it on, and lo and behold, the sucker is tiny. Tiny tiny tiny. I mean, it's supposed to be form-fitting - maybe even a little snug - but my arms were turning blue from lack of circulation in my armpits, and I don't even want to tell you what the bust looked like.

Strangely enough, I actually checked my gauge before I started, and it was pretty close. I haven't checked the gauge on the actual sweater, as I'm not quite in the right place mentally to figure out where to go from here.

So is it a good thing I tried it on now, before I had months of time invested in it?

Or is it a bad thing, because now I'm probably going to abandon ship, and if I'd waited at least I would have had a completed (tiny) sweater to give to someone or to sell?

Or is it a good thing, because as I was knitting I was sort of regretting my decision to use my alpaca yarn to make a sleeveless sweater (alpaca = ridiculously warm, sleeveless sweater = spring and summer)?

Or is it a bad thing, because now I'm going to have to do more research to find a pattern for a 3/4-sleeve sweater I like, which will take me lots longer to finish than the sleeveless one, so I won't get to wear this until next winter?

Or is it a good thing, because now I can legitimately start working on a pair of socks with the yarn that's been taunting me for the last week?

You decide. I'm going to go knit.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Maybe the pattern was off. I had the same problem with hat I was crocheting. I got the right gauge (with one size larger hook, because I crochet tightly), followed the pattern exactly, and the thing was so small, it could have fit my 5 year old son. I redid that hat at least 4 times before I got it to come out right. I would have just scrapped it, if not for it being a birthday present for a friend. If your daughter were older, you could give the sweater to her.