Pages

Monday, July 28, 2008

More hats

First there was the Irish Hiking Hat, made for my mother from cotton yarn I bought in Blacksburg.
She liked it so much that she asked me to make another one from the organic cotton yarn we salvaged from a really, really bagged out cardigan I made for her for Christmas last year (hint: The Fairly Easy Fair Isle doesn't translate well to thinner yarn on larger needles to get gauge). So after something like five hours of the two of us frogging and rewinding the yarn from the sweater, I got around to doing this:


Same hat as before, only now you can see the cables better. She liked THAT one so much, she decided that's what she wants me to do with all the yarn - make her enough hats so that she's not heartbroken when she loses one (which happens several times a winter). I was kinda sick of cables by then, and I didn't have enough of the next color to make the whole cable band, anyway, so I decided to practice my fair isle technique in a gauge that was a little more robust.


This hat totally kicks ass, and I think I may have to add a leash to it so she doesn't lose it the first time she wears it. Can't you just see it - an idiot hat instead of idiot mittens?

Since I came up with the pattern for this one all by myself (yay!), I can sell them if I want ... not sure I can get enough $$ for a hand-knit hat to justify the time spent making them, but they will make awesome Christmas presents for, oh, EVERYONE I'VE EVER MET.

Oh, and Laura - I totally need to teach you to knit, because these would be soooo nice in the CottonEase you like so much :)

2 comments:

Laura said...

Beautiful hats, especially the white and blue one!

Yes, I could definitely use some help learning how to knit! I can't even get the hang of casting on. Sigh...

I saw the cutest ponytail hat (basic hat with an opening in the back for a ponytail) in a knitting book recently - perfect for my daughter, since her hair's almost always in a ponytail, and I've been itching to learn how to knit so I can make her one.

LazyTcrochet said...

Oh cool! So, since I've met you, then I can expect an awesome knitted hat for Christmas??
I love them all. I love making hats. Yours are gorgeous! Hope you are having a great summer.